Stephanie Hatcher, BSc (Hons) Adult Nursing, joined the surgery in May 2017. Stephanie is a registered general nurse who is looking to further her nursing experience within a General Practice setting. Stephanie has a background in acute medical and surgical nursing including experience in Intensive/critical care. Her most recent role was working in a community nurse led hospital in Australia. This autonomous role provided additional experience in both an aged care facility and an acute unit with an urgent care facility. Stephanie will be providing general practice nursing care in her full time position.
Laura Barnes, BSc (Hons) Adult Nursing, independent and supplementary prescribing for nurses and midwifes joined the surgery in a part time role in May 2017. Laura’s most recent role was as a Parkinson’s Disease Nurse Specialist. Due to relocation Laura has joined the surgery looking to bring her current skills to the role but also to enhance her career within General Practice. Laura will be providing general practice nursing care at the surgery. In addition she will continue her interest in Parkinson’s Disease running occasional bespoke clinics.
Stalbridge Surgery has double the percentage of patients over the age of 65 years compared to the national average. With the increase in the elderly population with multiple comorbidities and frailty Laura will also be supporting those with advanced frailty in their homes.
The practice nurse’s role is very varied and can include general treatment room duties (e.g. dressings, injections and ear care) as well as nurse-led clinics in health promotion (e.g. women’s health, prevention of Coronary heart disease and child and travel immunisations) and chronic disease management (e.g. diabetes and asthma care).
- Blood pressure checks for patients on treatment for blood pressure (usually 6 monthly)
- Repeat prescriptions and checks for patients on hormone replacement therapy
- Repeat prescriptions and checks for patients on contraceptive pills
- Emergency contraception
- Contraceptive injections
- Well man or well woman check. (If you think you are well and want to have some basic checks done as well as healthy lifestyle enquiries)
- Travel plans for getting the best health protection if you travel abroad. Please come 6 weeks before you travel
- Over 75 health checks Patients over the age of 75 are invited to have a general check on their health every year. This is to check on health and general welfare and is particularly important for those living alone and have not seen a doctor or nurse in the previous year
- Advice on all aspects of healthy living. Diet advice, help with stopping smoking etc.
- Cervical Smears
- Stitch removal.